“Movement Improvisation / Practice” & Culture Mill Lab Opening Party"
Join us for an Open Retreat organized by Culture Mill and Durham Independent Dance Artists at the Culture Mill Lab in beautiful Saxapahaw, North Carolina. “Open Retreats” are day-long spaces for the exchange of skills and practices relevant to the local performing arts community. Whether you are professional or an amateur practitioner, “Open Retreats” are open to members of our local and greater communities who wish to take part in a day of body-based experience to feed their own interests and practices.
July 29th will be organized around the theme of Movement Improvisation / Practice and will feature three workshops from local artists with deep practices that relate to our theme. Stay for the free outdoor farmers' market and music series, Saturdays in Saxapahaw, at 6pm and the Culture Mill Lab Opening Party at 8pm!
Workshops and Day Schedule are as follows:
- 10am to 11:30am - “Grooves” with Christopher Grohs: A sweet exploration of our anatomy through simple joint patterns to figure out how our bodies can move with ease and efficiency. In this class, we'll hone in on our side body and lateral support structures and add in some twisting and turning. After our gentle exploration, we'll find a phrase that takes us across the floor.
- 1pm to 2:30pm - “Viewpoints” with Dana Marks - Explore the messages and meaning we put forth to the world/audiences by working with the physical body and the Viewpoints of time and space. Through group exercises and structured improvisations, participants will begin to follow initial impulses and learn to listen and express themselves in a deeper, more accessible way.
- 3pm to 4:30pm- “Moving Inside/Out” with ShaLeigh Comerford - Shaga/People: Inspired by the Gaga movement philosophy of Israeli choreographer Ohad Naharin, we approach movement as a dynamic, healing, and ever-changing power, using evocative ideas and imagery in a safe, non-judgmental environment. Class begins slowly and builds in intensity to continuous motion, providing enjoyable exercise for both body and soul.
- 4:30pm to 6pm - Open Space Salon - The Culture Mill Lab will be available during this time for both discussions and movement that relates to, reflects upon or integrates the day’s experiences.
- 6pm to 8pm - “Saturdays in Saxapahaw” Free Farmers Market and Music Series - Sit out on the lawn just outside the Culture Mill lab, visit vendors and food trucks and listen to Jonathan Byrd in this beautiful and quintessential Saxapahaw Summer Festival.
- 8pm - Culture Mill Lab Opening Party and Season 17/18 Announcement. Come back inside to celebrate the opening of the new Culture Mill Lab, learn about what we’ve got in store for the coming season, stay for drinks, dancing..and more!
PARKING: Due to Saturdays in Saxapahaw, please park in the meadow just before the Saxapahaw General Store, or the United Methodist Church directly across the Haw River on Church Rd.
LIMITED SPACE IS AVAILABLE for the Open Retreat Worskshops.